En EspaÑol

Monday - May 14, 2007

Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Deer-proof native plants
Answered by: Damon Waitt

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants: Can you recommend some Deer-proof native plants including shrubs and flowering plants?

Funny you should ask. We just put together a list of deer resistant plants on our website. Few plants are completely deer resistant. Several factors influence deer browsing including the density of the deer population, environmental conditions such as drought, and plant palatability. Deer tend to avoid plants with aromatic foliage, tough leathery and/or hairy or prickly leaves or plants with milky latex or sap. Try using some of the plants listed here to minimize deer damage to your landscape.