Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of plants seen at Disneyworld

Friday - May 11, 2007

From: kansas city, MO
Title: Identification of plants seen at Disneyworld
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I was hoping for the answer to a certain plant that i have been trying figure out the name of and where i might be able to purchase this particular plant. I have seen it in the Bahamas, Hawaii, and recently at MGM Disneyworld in front of the Tower of Terror ride. It looks like a large aloe vera plant, blue/green in color. in the Bahamas it had grown to 4 and 5 feet high. It looks like blades of a sword sprouting from the center and has pointy edges. thank you!

ANSWER:

Disneyworld actually has a website called the "Plants of Disneyland". You can see two plants in front of the Tower of Terror; however, they are palms and don't really fit your description. Here are two others that do generally fit your description: Aloe sp. and Phormium tenax, New Zealand flax. If neither of these is the plant you are searching for, you might look through the other plants that they have on their database.

You can find nurseries that specialize in plants native to North America in our National Suppliers Directory. However, neither of the plants named above is native to North America. To find them for sale, your best bet is to do an Internet search.