Mr. Smarty Plants - Should wax myrtles (Morella cerifera) be pruned?

Thursday - April 26, 2007

From: fort worth, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Should wax myrtles (Morella cerifera) be pruned?
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

We planted Wax Myrtles in our backyard as a wall for privacy from the lot behind ours. Should we prune or cut back the tops periodically to get more fully developed bushes or let them grow naturally?

ANSWER:

Pruning the top growth will encourage fuller growth in your wax myrtles and they can be pruned anytime. However, since their natural shape is very nice we wouldn't recommend severe pruning.

You will no doubt enjoy the lovely fragrance they give forth when you do prune them.

Wax myrtle