Wednesday - April 25, 2007

From: Iquitos, Other
Region: Other
Title: Source for sabadilla lily (Scheonocaulon officinale)

Hi, i'm Dutch and living in Iquitos Amazone Peru. Now i'm looking for the plant sabadilla lilly (sapadilla lilly?). This is a natural pesticide. Where does this plant grow, where can I find the plant? All info is welcome, how to plant, what ground it needs? Thanks, I hope you can help me. Warm regards.

Sabadilla (Scheonocaulon officinale) is a native of Mexico and Central and South America. You can read about its pesticide properties in Natural Products for Insect Pest Management and Plants Protecting Other Plants without GM. (Note: gm = genetic modification). The alkaloids from the ripe seeds act as an insect nerve poison. One of the positive environmental aspects of its use as a pesticide is its rapid breakdown time in sunlight and air.

It has also been used as a medicinal herb but with a strong warning about its toxic properties when used in concentrated form.

B & T World Seeds shows it listed for sale and it is also found in another supplier list.