Tuesday - April 17, 2007

Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Introduced invasive Melia azedarach along Shoal Creek in Austin

Along the Shoal Creek Trail in Austin are many flowering trees with sparse clusters of small pink/purple, star-shaped flowers with a dark red center stalk, blooming now in April. They have a fragrance that reminds me of honeysuckle. Can you identify these, please?

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks you are seeing Melia azedarach (Chinaberry tree), an introduced species classified as invasive because of its ability to outcompete native species.