Tuesday - April 17, 2007

Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Introduced invasive Melia azedarach along Shoal Creek in Austin

QUESTION:

Along the Shoal Creek Trail in Austin are many flowering trees with sparse clusters of small pink/purple, star-shaped flowers with a dark red center stalk, blooming now in April. They have a fragrance that reminds me of honeysuckle. Can you identify these, please?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks you are seeing Melia azedarach (Chinaberry tree), an introduced species classified as invasive because of its ability to outcompete native species.