Sunday - April 22, 2007

From: Bronxville, NY
Topic: Pollinators
Title: Pollinator for Juniperus virginiana "Grey Owl"

I would like to buy Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' as a source of berries for birds. 'Grey Owl' is a female clone, so it obviously must need a male pollinator. What J. virginiana male pollinator would work? I can't find any references to this. Thanks.

You are correct that if you are going to have juniper berries on your 'Grey Owl', it will have to be pollinated. Juniperus virginiana 'Gray Owl' is thought to be a hybrid between J. virginiana ‘Glauca’ and J. chinensis ‘Pfitzeriana’. If it is a hybrid between two different Juniperus species, it could very well be sterile such as a mule (which is a hybrid between a horse and a donkey) and be incapable of reproduction. If not a hybrid, I would think that any J.virginiana pollen would work quite well.