Saturday - April 14, 2007

From: Plano, TX
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Ground covers for play area in Plano, TX

Is there a ground cover that would work under and around a swing in our front yard in Plano, Texas. It would get morning sun and dappled shade from a trimmed live oak in the afternoon. It would need to stay low and would be walked on.

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit) is an excellent groundcover that requires little water and is evergreen in warm winters or in a protected area. Its maximum height is about 6 inches and it will take a moderate amount of traffic. It does spread vigorously.

Your area may also have enough sunshine to support Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss). This grass needs little water and doesn't need to be mowed very often.

Phyla nodiflora

Bouteloua dactyloides