En Espa—ol

Wednesday - July 28, 2004

From: Azle, TX
Title: Age at which native agarita produces berries
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

At what age does agarita produce berries? Is this plant self pollinating?

ANSWER:

Agarita, botanical name Mahonia trifoliolata (algerita) is a fairly fast growing perennial shrub; given the right conditions, the plant will grow to 6 inches the first year after germination. About the second or third year is when the plant will gain stature. We have seen them initiate bloom within this third year period. The flower is considered to be perfect; an individual flower contains male and female reproductive organs. Therefore, given the right conditions, the possibility for fruit set can occur during this second or third year of growth.

Agarita
Mahonia trifoliolata