Sunday - April 08, 2007

Title: Native trees for cemetery plot in Karnes County, TX

I'm looking for a tree for a cemetery plot in Karnes County at Pana Maria. There will be someone to regularly water it. I understand live oak and pecan are native to the area. I assume these would be good trees. But are there any other nice trees that would do well in the area based on size, longevity, looks or appropriateness for a cemetery?

The two trees you suggested, Carya illinoinensis (pecan) and Quercus virginiana (live oak), are native to Karnes County and should do well in the cemetery setting. Here are suggestions for a few more trees that are native to Karnes County or adjacent counties:

Evergreens: Sophora secundiflora (mescal bean), Ilex opaca (American holly), and Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Elms: Ulmus americana (American elm) and Ulmus crassifolia (cedar elm)

Oaks: Quercus stellata (post oak), Quercus macrocarpa (bur oak) and Quercus fusiformis (plateau oak)