Mr. Smarty Plants - Fast growing native hedges for Sachse, TX

Friday - March 30, 2007

From: Sachse, TX
Title: Fast growing native hedges for Sachse, TX

QUESTION:

I just bought a house in Sachse, Tx and want to plant a privacy hedge. It will be about 220' long and I want it to grow to at least 10'-12' high. I also want it to be fast growing and be evergreen. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

These first three shrubs/trees are fast-growing, evergreen and native to North Central Texas:

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

The final two are also evergreen, native to North Central Texas, and would make a very good privacy hedge. Unfortunately, they are slower growing than the first three:

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Sophora secundiflora (mountain laurel)

Rhus virens

Prunus caroliniana

Sophora secundiflora