Mr. Smarty Plants - Eliminating prickly pear

Saturday - March 24, 2007

From: waco, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Eliminating prickly pear
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

What is best practice for eliminating 100+ acres of dense prickly pear?

ANSWER:

Texas is home to several species of prickly pear including Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri (Texas pricklypear) and Opuntia engelmannii var. engelmannii (cactus apple). The Center for Grazinglands and Ranch Management at Texas A&M University System maintains an excellent discussion board dealing with Brush and Weed Management. There is an entire section devoted to Getting Rid of Prickly Pear. Within this website you will find recommendations ranging from individual plant treatments (IPT) to broadcast methods for large areas.

Texas pricklypear
Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri

Texas pricklypear
Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri