Mr. Smarty Plants - Soil for Agave americana

Tuesday - March 20, 2007

From: texarkana, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Soil for Agave americana
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Can you give me some information on soil admendments for growing Agave (Century Plant)? I kept it in a pot during the winter and now I am ready to plant it in my beds

ANSWER:

Agave americana (American century plant) does well in Sandy, Medium, or Clay Loam or in Rocky Soil. It is best used in mass or as focal point. It benefits from some extra moisture in very dry conditions, but is very tolerant of heat and xeric conditions. Takes light shade better than some other agaves. Protect from teen winter temperatures to avoid damage. Keep mature width of plant in mind when placing in the landscape to avoid sharp leaf tip spines.

American century plant
Agave americana