En Espa—ol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Florida law on removing orange trees

Saturday - March 24, 2007

From: Sarasota, FL
Topic: Plant Laws, Trees
Title: Florida law on removing orange trees
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I live in a co-op mobile home park with a board of directors that tell me that if I have to cut down my orange tree that Florida law says that I have to replace it with another orange tree. I say that if it is a native tree that is cut down that I have to replace it with another native tree. Who is right? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants searched and searched but could find no information on a Florida Law regarding replacing trees with the same species. To confuse the matter further, many communities have local ordinances governing tree preservation and replacement. To help us answer your question, we will need some sort of reference to the specific ordinance or law. If you would be so kind as to get that information from your co-op board, we will be happy to look into it.