Monday - August 11, 2014

From: New Braunfels, TX
Topic: Propagation, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Final size of a Texas mountain laurel

I have purchased a Texas Mountain Laurel. The plant tag says it will grow 25 to 35 feet. LBWF plant data base says 10 to 15 feet. Which data should I go with? It's either plant close but not close to the foundation of the house or out towards the cows and I don't think the rancher wants me poisoning his cows with the red seeds if I plant this along the fence line. Cows "tripping out" is not a pretty sight.

If Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel) is growing in an open, sunny spot it is unlikely to grow more than fifteen feet tall.  However, if the plant is growing in a shady location, even on the sunless side of a house, it may exceed twenty feet in its search for the sun.  It can be held to a lower height by lightly pruning the upper branches.

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora