Thursday - July 24, 2014

From: Longview, TX
Topic: General Botany, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Mountain laurel with fasciation

My Texas Mountain Laurel bush has developed several "crested branches." What causes this, is it harmful & how do I get rid of them??? Thank you!

Here is a link to a question to and answer from Mr. Smarty Plants about what I think you are seeing on your Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel).  They are not harmful to the tree—you can trim them off, but they are likely to come back next season.   These growths are called fasciations and Texas mountain laurels seem to be especially susceptible to them.  Here's more information from Purdue University about fasciation.

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora