En Espa—ol

Wednesday - March 21, 2007

From: Burnet, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Wildflowers for deer resistance, low sun, granite gravel soil

QUESTION:

We live on Lake Buchanan in the Texas Hill country. What would you suggest for a flowerbed next to the house: north exposure, deer resistant, blooming, shaded by a live oak, granite gravel soil. Thank You..

ANSWER:

Here are recommendations for wildflowers that are native to your area, are deer resistant and should do well in partial shade to sun. You need to realize, however, that deer resistant doesn't mean deer proof. Severe environmental conditions, such as drought, may cause the deer to sample plants that they wouldn't bother eating when more palatable food is available.

Wedelia texana

Lantana urticoides

Glandularia bipinnatifida

Mimosa borealis

Salvia greggii

Salvia farinacea

Gaillardia pulchella

Malvaviscus arboreus