Wednesday - August 06, 2014

From: Henderson, TN
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a plant my kids got me, but I cant figure out what it is. It has long thick waxy leaves and instead of flowers the leaves at the top turn white. Do you know what it is?

ANSWER:

There is a native plant that occurs in Tennessee that sort of fits your description, Euphorbia marginata (Snow on the mountain), except that it does have flowers.  However, I imagine that your kids bought this plant for you.  If so, then it  is very unlikely to be a native plant and we aren't the people to be asking about non-native plants since our focus and expertise is with plants native to North America.  Your best bet to find out what your plant is would be to take photos of it and then visit our Plant Identification page where you will find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.

Snow on the mountain
Euphorbia marginata

Snow on the mountain
Euphorbia marginata