Sunday - July 27, 2014

From: Abilene, TX
Title: Where in Texas can Vitis rupestris be found for collecting seeds and cuttings

Where in Texas can I collect in the wild - cuttings or seeds from the Native American plant Vitis rupestris? Thanks!

According to the USDA Plants Database county distribution map for Texas, Vitis rupestris (Sand grape) grows in the following counties:  Travis, Comal, Taylor, Tom Green and Val Verde.

According to the Atlas of the Vascular Plants of Texas, V. 1 (Turner, B. L. et al., 2003, Botanical Research Institute of Texas) it also occurs in Garza and McCulloch Counties.

This doesn't mean that it can be easily found in those counties.  Your best bet for locating it is to contact someone in a local chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas in those areas to see if they know where the vine can be found.

Once you have located plants you need to be aware that you should ask permission from the landowner to collect.