Thursday - July 10, 2014

Title: Problem with non-native Shasta daisies

QUESTION:

Our Shasta Daisy has bloomed quite prolifically this year. I don't know what to do with the spent blooms/stalks. Do I trim them down, save the seeds, plant the seeds? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ANSWER:

We wish we could be more helpful, but the focus of our research and the extent of our expertise are limited to those plant species native to North America.  Shasta daisy (Leucanthemem x superbum) is a hybrid developed by Luther Burbank from 3 species that are not native to North America—two European species and a Japanese species—and, thus, is out of our area of focus and expertise.  I suggest Googling the terms "Shasta daisy care" or visiting one of the many garden forums online with your question.