Mr. Smarty Plants - Blooming time in Austin for wildflowers

Monday - March 12, 2007

From: Lacey's Spring, AL
Title: Blooming time in Austin for wildflowers

QUESTION:

Hi Mr. Smarty Pants!! I am a wildflower artist coming for my first spring visit to Austin to exhibit in the Artisan's Festival. As a wildflower fanatic, I am hoping to see and photograph some of "your" wildflowers. Can you give me any helpful advice as to where to find the "best bloom" of wildflowers during my visit? I am hoping it won't be too early in your season. (March 15 - 24)

ANSWER:

When and where the wildflowers, especially the bluebonnets, are going to bloom is one of our most frequently asked questions. The peak of the bluebonnet season is usually around the first weekend in April, but by the week of March 15-24 there should be bluebonnets and other wildflowers beginning to show. Our recent rain and warm temperatures should encourage lots of blooms.

You can read a previously answered question that has several links that report wildflower sightings and give routes for best viewing.

By the way, it's Smarty Plants!