Saturday - June 21, 2014

From: Hockley, TX
Title: Native evergreen vine for East Texas

QUESTION:

Can you please recommend a native vine (western edge of East Texas in the pines) that will be evergreen and fast growing? It will get about 4 to 5 hours of sun on my moongate. Flowers a plus, but not necessary. Thank you!

ANSWER:

There are three evergreen vines, all with attractive flowers, that grow in Harris County, Texas:

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) will grow in sun or part shade.

Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) grows in sun or part shade.

Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jessamine) grows in sun or part shade.

The first two are probably the fastest growing.

You can read more about them in the article, "Native Vines of the Houston Area", on page 7 of the Native Plant Society of Texas–Houston Chapter–Native Plant Guide.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Carolina jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens