Mr. Smarty Plants - Wildflowers for West Texas Permian Basin area

Monday - March 19, 2007

From: Odessa, TX
Title: Wildflowers for West Texas Permian Basin area

QUESTION:

What wild flowers grow out here in West Texas (Permian Basin Area)? I know a lot of the wild flowers from other parts of the state will not grow out here in the dry heat and poor soil. Thanks for you help.

ANSWER:

Here are a few suggestions for wildflowers that occur naturally in Ector County, Texas, that should be commercially available as seeds. If you are thinking of sowing wildflowers, you might also like to read one of our "How to" articles, "Wildflower Meadow Gardening".

Abronia fragrans (snowball sand verbena)

Amblyolepis setigera (huisache daisy)

Calylophus hartwegii (Hartweg's sundrops)

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel)

Gaura coccinea (scarlet beeblossom)

Helianthus petiolaris (prairie sunflower)

Ipomopsis longiflora (flaxflowered ipomopsis)

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot)

Penstemon ambiguus (gilia beardtongue)

Ratibida columnifera (upright prairie coneflower)

Senna roemeriana (twoleaf senna)

Thelesperma filifolium (stiff greenthread)

Xanthisma texanum (Texas sleepydaisy)

Abronia fragrans

Amblyolepis setigera

Calylophus hartwegii

Gaillardia pulchella

Gaura coccinea

Helianthus petiolaris

Ipomopsis longiflora

Melampodium leucanthum

Penstemon ambiguus

Ratibida columnifera

Senna roemeriana

Thelesperma filifolium

Xanthisma texanum