Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of a vine in Tennessee

Saturday - June 14, 2014

From: Minor Hill, TN
Region: Select Region
Topic: Plant Identification, Vines
Title: Identification of a vine in Tennessee

QUESTION:

I have a beautiful vine with clusters approximately 70 feet All the way up a tree in a heavily wooded area. It seems to be evergreen or semi- evergreen. Can you help identify?

ANSWER:

I can help you do a search that will result in almost all of the native vines that grow in Tennessee.  You can do a COMBINATION SEARCH in our Native Plant Database choosing Tennessee from Select State or Province and "Vine" from Habit (general appearance).  This will give you a list of 84 vines that are native to Tennessee.  Most of the entries have photographs.  If you don't find it in the entries in this search and you have or can take a picture of the vine, then you should visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.  You will need closeup photographs of the leaves and, if possible, any flowers or fruits.   You also need to show how the leaves are arranged on the main stem of the vine.