Wednesday - March 14, 2007

Title: Care of non-native Primrose jasmine

QUESTION:

I have 4 large primrose jasmine shrubs that were transplanted about 4 years ago. They were cut back fairly harshly at that time. Since then, the centers remain very woody... no greenery... but the long flowing branches have grown out. I do have flowers on all 4 plants and am watching them closely for leaves. I would like to keep them and have them behave as a primrose jasmine should! Should I cut them back again? Any hope? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Primrose jasmine, Jasminum mesnyi, is an introduction from China. Since our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center is on plants native to North America, it is not really in our purview. However, I can refer you to the following links with information about the care of primrose jasmine. According to these sources, Primrose jasmine can be pruned severely after the flowers have faded.

Floridata

Poole Agricultural Center, Clemson University

Gardening from the Ground Up