Mr. Smarty Plants - Possible identification of Stemless Evening Primrose

Wednesday - March 07, 2007

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Possible identification of Stemless Evening Primrose

QUESTION:

Recently, in a very dry area, some interesting plants have emerged. The plant looks like a very short dandelion but the yellow flowers look like yellow morning glories. The flowers are open in the morning and twist close as the day progresses. The entire plant is not more than an inch tall even when it's spread is over a foot. Any idea what this is?

ANSWER:

From your description, the only plant that comes to mind is Stemless Evening Primrose (Oenothera triloba). After seeing the photographs in our Native Plants Database if you don't think that is what it is, we invite you to send us a digital photo. You can find instructions for submitting photos for identification on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.