Mr. Smarty Plants - A Crabapple for the Austin, TX area.

Tuesday - May 06, 2014

Title: A Crabapple for the Austin, TX area.

QUESTION:

I am in search of crab apples. Don't they grow in Austin? I can not seem to be able to locate any here. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Only one crabapple is native to central Texas.  Malus ioensis var. texana, Blanco Crabapple is native to riparian areas within the Blanco River drainage and in some surrounding localities on the Edwards Plateau.  Its native range is not known to include Travis County.  You can see several examples of the tree in our gardens. 

Some locally-owned nurseries may carry Blanco Crabapple as it is a lovely small tree bearing stunning pink flowers in April and scads of small fruit in fall.  Its fruit is not the best of the crabapples for eating.  However, its fall color is among the best of any of the apples.  The Wildflower Center typically has a few trees of Blanco Crabapple at our April and October fund-raising sales, but they tend to go quickly.  Members have the first crack at them on the Friday of plant sale weekends.

Texas crabapple
Malus ioensis var. texana

Texas crabapple
Malus ioensis var. texana