Mr. Smarty Plants - Planting time for wildflower seeds in Denton Co., TX

Sunday - March 11, 2007

From: Copper Canyon, TX
Title: Planting time for wildflower seeds in Denton Co., TX

QUESTION:

I live in Denton county, Texas and I purchased 2 lbs of native texas wildflower seed from the local agr. extension. Is it too late to plant now and expect flowers from my seed ? Should I plant anyway to get a head start on next spring?

ANSWER:

Generally, the best time to sow seeds is when they would naturally be dispersed—late summer and early fall for most Texas species. However, you might be able get some of the wildflowers up and blooming this year. It is possible that the perennials plants will establish themselves and bloom next year. The annuals that bloom later in the spring and summer do have a good chance. However, early blooming annuals probably aren't going to bloom for you, and, without blossoms to make seeds, these plants won't reappear next year.

You might also find several of our How to Articles (e.g., Wildflower Meadow Gardening and Large Scale Wildflower Planting) helpful when you sow your wildflower seeds.