En EspaÑol

Friday - April 25, 2014

From: Newport, RI
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Edible Plants
Title: Blossom end rot on non-native tomatoes from Newport RI

QUESTION:

Can epsom salt or eggshells end blossom end rot on tomatoes?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the place in which those plants are being grown, in your case, Newport County, RI. Solanum lycopersicum, tomato is a member of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family and is native to the South American Andes. Therefore, is is out of our realm of expertise. We would suggest you go to the internet and search on "blossom end rot of tomatoes." When we did that, we got dozens of links, no doubt with far more information than we could give you.