En Espa—ol

Wednesday - March 07, 2007

Topic: Plant Identification, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native sedges for Texas
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

What can you tell me about Texas Blue Sedge? What its true name and culture requirements?

ANSWER:

We know of no sedge that is commonly called Texas Blue Sedge; however, Carex glaucodea is called Blue Sedge and C. flaccosperma has blueish foliage. Both are native to Texas. Also, we did find one reference for Carex leavenworthii, another Texas native, associated with the common name of Blue Sedge. The sedge most commonly known as Blue Sedge, Carex flacca is an introduction from Europe and North Africa but is naturalized in eastern Canada and the northeastern US.

It is, however, possible that you are referring to blue sage or Texas sage (Salvia texana). It is a perennial occurring in the western 2/3 of Texas and in New Mexico. It grows in limestone soils, blooming March through May, and requires little water.