Tuesday - April 22, 2014

From: Alpine, CA
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Non-native invasive carrot wood tree losing leaves in Alpine CA

My carrot wood tree is losing all of its leaves. The tree is about 15foot high & 13 years old. Could it be gophers? The tree was trimmed 1 year ago.

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer:

"Carrot Wood Tree, Cupaniopsis anacardioides , is a native of Australia where it is called Tuckeroo (see images). It is considered an invasive species in the United States. Since the mission of the Lady Bird Johndon Wildflower Center os to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants, and landscapes, two things that Mr. Smarty Plants doesn't care much for are invasive, non-native plants. See these two links for more information: California, and Texas."

Be sure and follow the link to California in the line above to see what naturalists think of this plant. They would probably feel the gopher, if that is the problem, was welcome to eat all he wanted. Since it is non-native to North American, we know nothing about its culture. Just to be sure we have made our point, please read this article from the Plant Conservation Alliance's Alien Plant Working Group LEAST WANTED on Carrotwood.