Topic: General Botany, Trees
Title: Can Condalia hookeri (Brasil or Bluewood condalia) self-pollinate?

QUESTION:

Good morning Mr. SP, I see from your description of Condalia hookeri that this species has bisexual flowers. Do you know if it is self-incompatible?

ANSWER:

After consulting all my reference books and searching online I could find no information about Condalia hookeri (Bluewood condalia or Brasil) that indicates that it is self-incompatible.  Since they are pollinated by bees (and perhaps other insects) the fruit set might be increased if there were another tree nearby to furnish pollen with a different genetic make-up, but I could find no evidence that they aren't capable of self-fertilization.

Bluewood condalia
Condalia hookeri

Bluewood condalia
Condalia hookeri

Bluewood condalia
Condalia hookeri