En EspaÑol

Wednesday - April 09, 2014

From: Georgetown, KY
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Dying foliage on non-native Otto Luyken Laurel from Georgetown KY

QUESTION:

I have 5 luken laurel scrubs planted around foundation. They have done very well until this last winter..the foilage is now brown and crispy. Will they come back? Do I need to prune back the damage? I did give them some holly tone.

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants not only native to North America but to the area in which they are being grown; in your case, Scott County, KY. While there is a plant named Prunus caroliniana (Cherry laurel) native to North America, though not Kentucky, we are pretty sure you are referring to is a cultivar of Prunus Laurocelerasus (cherry laurel) known as 'Otto Luyken'. This plant. according to this article from SF Gate, How to Care for Otto Luyken Laurel Plants, is native to Europe and Iran, and therefore out of our realm of expertise. Also from SF Gate, Problems with Otto Luyken Laurel.  Sorry we couldn't help.