Monday - April 07, 2014

From: Mesa, AZ
Topic: Non-Natives, Pests
Title: Mosquito problem from Mesa AZ

QUESTION:

We have a mosquito problem in our backyard, I think they're grass Mosquitos. I wanted to get lemongrass for a deterrent but both nurseries were out so I opted for rosemary. They're ALL OVER the rosemary. Any idea why?

ANSWER:

First, we need to remind you that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants are being grown; in your case, Maricopa County, AZ.  Lemongrass is native to India and tropical Asia. Rosemary is native to the Mediterranean and Asia, but is reasonably hardy in cool climates. They are both widely sold and grown in North America but are out of our area of expertise.

Next, we have to say we could not find any information about a "grass mosquito." There are apparently many, many species of the pest, but we could not find one specifically dubbed as "grass."

Finally, please go to the Mr. Smarty Plants previous answer. It came from Austin but we believe the information is still apropos.