Tuesday - March 06, 2007

From: Jefferson, TX
Title: Sources of cut native wildflowers

QUESTION:

I am preparing for my garden club's annual flower show and I have been assigned Southern Graces in San Antonio. Is there a source for cut bluebonnets or indian paintbrushes? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Sorry, but Mr. Smarty Plants hasn't found a source for cut wildflowers. Your best bet might be to try calling florists in your area or in the San Antonio area. You could also consider using potted plants, such as bedding plants. You can find a list of nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants in your area in our National Suppliers Directory. PlantNative has a similar list that overlaps a lot with our list, but with unique entries in both databases. You might try contacting Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg who grow lots of wildflowers for seed to see if they have bedding plants as well. Your local chapter or the San Antonio chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas might know of a source of cut wildflowers.