Tuesday - March 04, 2014

Topic: General Botany, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Source for DNA sequencing of Opuntia species

Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, I am trying to do a Opuntia speciation study, and rather just identifying the species by morphological comparison, I would also like to go a little deeper by comparing the DNA sequences in a few of them. I can isolate the DNA, but I don't have the ability or equipment to sequence it. On another note I don't have that much money. Is there a cheap (or relatively affordable) lab I can send it to in order to sequence it? thanks, -Matthew

Sorry, but we don't have any expertise in the area of DNA sequencing so we don't know any sources.   Since you live in Austin you might contact someone at the University of Texas School of Biological Sciences.  The bio of Dr. Bob Jansen, Chairman of the Department of Integrative Biology reads:

"My primary research interests involve the determination of phylogenetic relationships among plants and genome evolution."

You also might look through recent issues of the Journal of the Cactus and Succulent Society of America (formerly Cactus and Succulent Society Journal) to find someone who is doing similar research on Opuntia or other cacti.   This journal is available at the University of Texas Life Science Library.  You could also contact the Cactus and Succulent Society of America directly.  Other possibilities are the Austin Cactus and Succulent Society, Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.