En EspaÑol

Wednesday - February 26, 2014

From: Milford, OH
Title: Replacement for boxwoods in Ohio

QUESTION:

I want to replace my boxwood plants but I don't know what would be a good replacement. I have a hydrangea plant that is in the middle and I would like something to go on each side of the hydrangea. It can't be over 4 feet tall and it will get morning sun. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Here are four possibilities to replace your boxwood plants.   All of these are natives known to grow in or very near Clermont County.  You can look for more possibilities by doing a COMBINATION SEARCH in our Native Plant Database and choosing "Ohio" from the Select State or Province option, "Shrub" from Habit (general appearance) and "3-6 ft." from Size Characteristics.

Dasiphora fruticosa ssp. floribunda (Shrubby cinquefoil)  Here are more photos and information from Go Botany New England Wild and from Plants of Wisconsin.

Rosa blanda (Smooth rose)  Here is more information from Minnesota Wildflowers and from Evergreen Native Plant Database.

Symphoricarpos albus (Common snowberry)  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden and University of Connecticut Horticulture.

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (Coralberry)  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden and from Washington State University Whatcom County Extension.

Shrubby cinquefoil
Dasiphora fruticosa ssp. floribunda

Smooth rose
Rosa blanda

Common snowberry
Symphoricarpos albus

Coralberry
Symphoricarpos orbiculatus