Thursday - February 13, 2014

From: Willow Park, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are the berries of Gun bumelia poisonous to dogs from Willow Park TX

We have been told we have a Bumelia Lanuginosa (Chittamwood) tree in our yard. My dog has been eating the berries. (She has had stomach issues for several months and only recently found out she has eaten berries). Could the berries be the cause of the loose stool?

Our website on Sideroxylon lanuginosum (Gum bumelia)) makes no mention of poisonous parts, but we can give you some previous Mr. Smarty Plants answers on plants poisonous to dogs that you can search - search for it on the scientific name, Sideroxylon lanuginosum .

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University's Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

University of Illinois' Plants Toxic to Animals

University of Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants database

Plants of Texas Rangelands – Toxics

The fact that a plant doesn't appear on a toxic plant database doesn't guarantee that the plant is completely non-toxic.  Have you also checked with your veterinarian?

Gum bumelia
Sideroxylon lanuginosum

Gum bumelia
Sideroxylon lanuginosum

Gum bumelia
Sideroxylon lanuginosum