Mr. Smarty Plants - Obtaining information about non-native Maurandella antiffhiniflora seeds

Monday - February 26, 2007

From: Conroe, TX
Title: Obtaining information about non-native Maurandella antiffhiniflora seeds

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Plants: My Mother and I love to see all the beautiful Snapdragons blooming each year. We never know when to actually plant the seeds in order to have the Snapdragons come up and bloom by this time of year. Can you tell me when to plant the seeds? Thank you so much.

ANSWER:

Although there are some attractive North American native snapdragons, e.g., Coulter's Snapdragon (Sairocarpus coulterianus) and Climbing snapdragon (Maurandella antirrhiniflora), I suspect that you are talking about the snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus) which is native to the Mediterranean. Although our focus and expertise is with plants native to North America, we can point you to information from Floridata.com and the BackyardGardener.com on the care of this beautiful non-native snapdragon.