Thursday - December 19, 2013

From: Stuart, FL
Title: Identification of lily in Florida Savannas Preserve State Park

I found a lily blooming in the Savannas Preserve State Park in Martin County Florida. It is similar to a Michaux lily but doesn't have apparent spots. The foliage is also different from photos I have seen of the Michaux lily. There is a cluster of plants. I saw only one bloom but have located fruits on two different plants. If anyone is particularly interested in lilies I have some photos.

There is one native lily, Lilium catesbaei (Pine lily), that grows in Martin County, Florida that resembles the Lilium michauxii (Carolina lily), but with fewer spots, different foliage and the flower is held upright rather than facing down. 

Here are more photos of L. catesbaei from Valdosta University in Georgia.  You can see photos of both L. catesbaei and L. michauxii on the Pacific Bulb Society page.

If this isn't the lily you saw at the Savannas Preserve State Park, please visit our Plant Identification page where you will find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.

Pine lily
Lilium catesbaei

Pine lily
Lilium catesbaei

Pine lily
Lilium catesbaei

Carolina lily
Lilium michauxii

Carolina lily
Lilium michauxii