Monday - February 19, 2007

Title: Source of Rosa foliolosa for Zilker Gardens, Austin

QUESTION:

We're looking for a specimen plant of Rosa foliolosa and I am hoping you can direct me where I can purchase one for the Vee Fowler Native Texas Herb Garden at Zilker Botanical Gardens.

ANSWER:

The North American distribution for Rosa foliolosa is Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Mississippi. You can read a detailed description of it from the Oklahoma University Biosurvey and see pictures from the Texas A & M Horticulture database. In Texas (according to B. L. Turner et al. 2003. Atlas of the Vascular Plants of Texas, vol. 1. Fort Worth: BRIT Press) it occurs mainly in north central Texas near the Oklahoma border; but there are also records from Kerr and Gillespie Counties. It is not listed in our Wildflower Center Taxa, a list of the species that occur on the Wildflower Center grounds. I have searched our National Suppliers Directory in the states of its distribution (and beyond) on the web pages of those suppliers with web pages and have not found one listing Rosa foliolosa in its inventory. There is the possibility that there is a supplier with only a telephone listing that might have it. I did find a web page Old Garden Roses and Beyond, devoted to heirloom, native, and rare roses that gives a list of reputable nursery suppliers of such roses in the US and Canada. However, I think your best bet for finding a specimen is to contact the Austin Chapter or the Kerrville Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas. They are more likely to have a lead to a source for you.