Mr. Smarty Plants - Question Topics

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 23 next >> 
228 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Purple leatherflower with white bloom
July 17, 2014
A couple of years ago at the wildflower center native plant sale I bought a purple leatherflower according to the tag. This is the first year it has bloomed and the blooms are pure white. The shape ma...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Forum for reporting rare plants
July 05, 2014
Hi Mr. Smarty Pants, I was wondering if there is a forum for Texans to submit sightings of native plants they find? I live in Medina County and 2 years ago had a rare native plant growing in my yard ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Taxonomy question concerning the Family Commelinaceae
June 17, 2014
Hi I have a question. Many people refer to plants differently, I have always used the Genus and species and rarely the family name..it is very confusing .. when a professional uses a name that is a co...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Key for Verbesina virginica
June 16, 2014
Are the stems of Verbesina virginica hairy? My in-laws have what I believe is Verbesina virginica (blooms in September here in VA) and another wild flower that blooms before it and is yellow. I'd l...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Define monoculture from St. Croix Falls, WI
May 30, 2014
What do you call a dense stand or carpet of one species of wildflower? Our botany professor told us but that was 40 years ago!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Should Rock Harlequin stay green all winter?
May 28, 2014
I have a rock harlequin that came up in a area that had been disturbed. It came up last summer/fall and the foliage survived our tough winter. I can not find anything about this plant staying green al...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can Condalia hookeri (Brasil or Bluewood condalia) self-pollinate?
May 07, 2014
Good morning Mr. SP, I see from your description of Condalia hookeri that this species has bisexual flowers. Do you know if it is self-incompatible?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How are full sun, part sun, etc, defined?
April 08, 2014
Hello, I have a question about sun requirements. Does saying something needs "full sun" mean a particular number of hours? Does it mean 6 or more hours / day? 8 or more? Is there an agreed upon n...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Water-saving strategies of drought-tolerant plants
April 04, 2014
Although "drought tolerant" plants are fairly well documented, it's clear that many different strategies are responsible, such as a huge root system (like Mesquite). I'm interested in learning the...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Are Prunus minutiflora male and female flowers on different plants?
March 12, 2014
I have a Prunus minutiflora and have recently learned the male and female flowers are on separate plants. How can I determine if I have a male or female plant?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 23 next >> 
228 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page