Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 25 next >> 
243 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Use of the word annual
May 27, 2015
Why is the word 'annual' used to describe plants with one grow season, when in all other cases it's used to describe things that reoccur year after year? i.e. Events, celebration, salary?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Brownish-gold worm-looking things on loblolly pines
May 08, 2015
We have a large loblolly pine that each spring drops thousands of brownish-gold "worm" looking things (about 1/2 to 1" long). Do they have a name and what is their purpose?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is Common Milkweed a Succulent?
March 31, 2015
Is the common milkweed (butterfly plant) classified as a succulent?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Correct family classification for Allium cernuum
March 19, 2015
What is the correct family classification for Allium cernuum? I have seen the nodding onion as part of the Liliaceae family on the USDA website and my field guides, but it is in the Alliaceae family i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What shade trees have non-invasive root systems?
March 03, 2015
What shade trees have a non-invasive root system? I am in zone 7a. Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

USDA Hardiness Zones
January 22, 2015
Some natives are listed as ZONE 3 - 7. Would they be ok in zone 9. I thought the zones related to cold hardiness. What does the higher number mean, exactly?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Information about Erigeron annuus and Erigeron philadelphicus
January 10, 2015
Hi! I am looking for information about the specific leaf area of Erigeron annuus and Erigeron philadelphicus. Do you know of anyone who is working with any these species, who might be able to provide...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Environmental factors that affect lifecycle stages of maidenhair fern.
November 07, 2014
What are the environmental factors that can affect the lifecycle stages of a maidenhair fern, particularly A. trichorleopis? Thank you
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Water Use Versus Soil Moisture
October 14, 2014
In the Native Plant Database, under Growing Conditions what is the difference between water use and soil moisture? Sometimes they seem contradictory.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Where do snake herb and skeleton-leaf goldeneye get their names?
October 05, 2014
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Where does snake herb, and skeleton leaf goldeneye get their names from? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 25 next >> 
243 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page