Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 next >> 
34 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Will Sotol (Dasylirion wheeleri thrive in caliche soil?
December 02, 2014
I live on a high hill in the Hamilton Pool area outside of Austin. I am looking to plant a Dasylirion wheeleri that I grew from seed collected in New Mexico aria East Of Soccoro. I am wondering if the...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problem garden strip in Austin
May 22, 2014
Currently I live in the west half of a duplex. There is a small strip of dirt about two feet wide between the wall and the sidewalk in the backyard. It faces west, meaning it only gets sunlight duri...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Appropriate use of redbud from Austin
May 04, 2014
I am considering purchasing a hearts of gold redbud; I am also xeriscaping my front yard. I live in Austin,TX. Will this tree do ok in full Tx sun (8+ hours) with once a week watering? If this...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Five-eight foot hedge for north Texas
September 06, 2013
I am looking to find a fairly large (preferably flowering) shrub / hedge to go along 100 feet of fence. The plants will be facing Northeast, but will be for the most part under the branches of crape m...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bringing upright a leaning cholla cactus
August 29, 2013
I have a 3 ft. tall Cylindropuntia bigelovii that fell over after recent rains. I righted it and supported it with garden stakes for about a month. I was afraid to pull too hard on the low...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-native zoysia and bermuda grasses in Austin
July 11, 2013
We have Bermuda grass in the front and Zoysia in the back yards. The back grass is fine but the front yard Bermuda isn't. We have watered once each week during the spring and during the past 3 weeks...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dying non-native St. Augustine grass from Austin
May 02, 2013
Although we all know St. Augustine grass is not a good thing, I am stuck with it and am trying to save areas that appear to have take-all fungus. I have done much reading online and have tried peat m...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Replacement for shade grass in El Paso TX
April 05, 2013
We currently have a Honey Mesquite tree with thinning bermuda grass underneath in our front yard. I suspect that the filtered shade is killing the bermuda. I was thinking of planting Buffalo Grass, or...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Starting over on a lawn in Heath TX
April 02, 2013
Unless one counts dichondra as grass I have more weeds than grass in my yard.I have hand pulled the weeds and used an organic program without success. The soil is a hard clay typical of North Texas. I...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Surface tree roots hurting grass in Houston
March 21, 2013
We have 2 mature Arizona Ash trees in our yard (30-40'). One of them is in a sunnier location and has developed an extensive network of surface roots (up to 1 to 1 1/2" Dia.) between the tree and th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 next >> 
34 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page