Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 30 next >> 
297 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Calcium from Eggshells for Ferns?
December 15, 2014
I was reading recently about beneficial additions to the soil/plant. The first was about soaking used egg shells overnight and then pouring the water onto ferns. They said that the calcium in eggshell...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is mulch from hackberry and chinaberry trees safe for flowerbeds?
September 17, 2014
We had to remove several large hackberry and china berry trees. Is its mulch safe to use in garden and in flower beds?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Late planting plum tree from Lago Vista, TX
May 01, 2014
I have two plum trees in plastic containers that I purchased in March. For a lot of reasons, we didn't get them planted. I have kept them alive by watering consistently, but I am now wondering what...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to grow under elm tree in Amarillo TX
May 01, 2014
I have a large elm tree and I can't get seem to get anything to grow under it. I was wondering if there are any shade-loving groundcovers that you would recommend (have tried English Ivy, hostas, an...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Mulching tree root in San Angelo, TX
April 02, 2014
San Angelo, Texas is in a drought stage. Will it help our trees to mulch the base of them?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Recovering neglected garden space from Grapevine TX
March 22, 2014
I live in Grapevine TX (Dallas). I just moved into a house where almost the entire large backyard is covered by oak trees that shed tons of leaves throughout our mild falls/winters. The yard has not...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sheet mulching before planting Habiturf from Grand Prairie, TX
March 03, 2014
Have you tried sheet mulching as a bed prep and to kill bermuda grass before planting habituff?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Revegetation of school site with meadow plants from Austin
December 23, 2013
We are revegetating a hill country school site (typical calciferous soil stripped of vegetation & minimal topsoil) with a native seed mix equal to Native American Seed "Meadow Mix". We have an abund...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

The Pros and Cons of Using Stone Mulch for Plants and Wildfire Safety
December 04, 2013
I am trying to grow native plants that are wildfire-resistant. I want to avoid the use of flammable mulch -- especially in beds next to the house. I'm considering river rock or crushed stone, but one...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Use of cedar/juniper mulch in wildflower meadows
August 31, 2013
What to do with freshly shredded cedar/juniper mulch? We have a pile of freshly ground cedar mulch that we can either keep in a large pile until it has composted(but the neighbors are complaining), or...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 30 next >> 
297 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page