En Espa—ol

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 22 next >> 
215 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

Oyster Shell source in Austin
September 18, 2015
Hi, I was not sure who to reach out to, but I work for Quality Seafood here in Austin, and we have several gardeners who take our old oyster shells and grind them up or put them in their gardens for ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native Plants by Soil Type
June 17, 2015
Can't find an appropriate place to ask this - would love to be able to search for plants that do best in acidic soil (soil pH) another filter on the search screen. May not be there because the data...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Failure of TX bluebonnets to thrive
May 28, 2015
We have had extraordinary luck with bluebonnets growing in our driveway of decomposed granite--until last year and this year. The bluebonnets seem to be drying up and wilting away. The ones in other a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for a Shaded Slope in Philadelphia
April 17, 2015
I have a small slope along the North side of my house in a suburb of Philadelphia. A small maple tree grows there but most of it gets no sun at all (a large segment is under the tree). I had the soil ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Twenty year old Texas Mountain Laurel isn't blooming.
March 09, 2015
I have 20-year-old Texas Mountain Laurel in a fairly poor, clay-type soil. It hasn't bloomed very well the last couple years. Can you recommend a fertilizer to improve the blooms?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for planting trees in poor soils in Austin, TX
February 27, 2015
Due to the clay soils and poor drainage in East Austin, what ornamental trees do you normally suggest?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Turf grass for a sandy site in central Texas
February 16, 2015
I want to plant grass over an old sand volleyball court in our back yard in Bastrop, Texas. What is the best way to go? Adding top soil and buffalo grass seed or try St. Augustine?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need fast growing deciduous trees for Austin, TX
February 14, 2015
We'd like to plant several fast growing deciduous trees in a full sun yard with a hard alkaline soil in the western edge of Travis Heights in South Austin. I've noted several locations in our neighb...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Converting a Texas backyard to grow Xerophytic native plants
January 09, 2015
I am planning the conversion of our backyard, about 4000 sq ft of largely St Augustine, into a grassless landscape of hardscaping and native plants. Iíve been an avid gardener of rock garden plants i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Calcium from Eggshells for Ferns?
December 15, 2014
I was reading recently about beneficial additions to the soil/plant. The first was about soaking used egg shells overnight and then pouring the water onto ferns. They said that the calcium in eggshell...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 22 next >> 
215 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page