Mr. Smarty Plants - Question Topics

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 30 next >> 
298 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Pruning Post Oaks
July 26, 2014
I live in Houston and have two post oaks. One is right by my house. I'd like to trim them but was told they are sensitive and might die if I trim them. Is this true? What is the right course of ac...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Optimal time for trimming Fall asters
July 04, 2014
RE: fall asters What is the latest date in the summer that I can trim my fall asters and still get a good amount of blooms in October?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Growing Grapes in Southern Texas on an Arbor
July 02, 2014
I've redirected several grape vines (from the top third of a broken oak tree) onto an arbor. The base of the vine is about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Is it feasible to work with (prune) the smaller b...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Northern Catalpa Tree Doing Poorly
July 02, 2014
One of our Northern Catalpa trees appears to be dying. It is about 28 feet tall and this year only about 1/3 of it is producing leaves. It is next to our largest Catalpa tree (about 65 feet tall and a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Decline of sheared dwarf hollies from Rockwall TX
May 31, 2014
I have 20 year old established dwarf yaupon hollies in front of the house that I trim every year and shape the same. This year the new growth that was 2 1/2 " long I noticed the new leaves were curli...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Cuttings from beautyberry from Stockport OH
May 22, 2014
My beauty berry is starting a new growth about 2ft from main plant, can I dig this and part of the root without hurting the main part, if so, when?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trimming of Escarpment Oak from Austin
May 18, 2014
We have a 2-year-old quercus fusiformis in our front yard and have been advised by some people that we need to remove the bottom branches and trim the ends of the branches that are hanging far down. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Live oak leaves not dropping from Austin
April 29, 2014
We had a 65 gallon live oak planted last October. We watered it regularly and it was green all through the winter. In March the leaves started to turn brown but never dropped, as they should have. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pruning a Young Cercis canadensis (Redbud) Tree
April 05, 2014
I have a redbud tree that was transplanted when very young (five years ago). It just started budding last year. It is growing very well but the branches are low. It's like it's growing out instead o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pruning of non-native oxblood lilies from Austin
March 27, 2014
My Oxblood Lilies flowered quite late last Fall. Their foliage is still very green. Can I cut it down now or do I have to wait until it goes brown?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 30 next >> 
298 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page