A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Medina, TX
Non-native ligustrum in non-native fescue in Medina TX
Is there an effective way to kill baby ligustrums coming up in my fescue yard without harming the grass?

Medina, TX
Drought & Deer Resistant Shrub for Shade in Medina, TX
We are dedicated to native plants in Medina, but are desperate to find a drought and deer resistant shrub for shade. Would we be too far off base with an oleander bush? We know birds and most butterfl...

Bandera, TX
Failure to thrive of Lantanas
Here at work we have 4 beautiful yellow Santanas(should I say had), the leaves have started to turn brown and no longer blooming. Appears to have a fungus or disease. Please help!

Bandera, TX
Deer resistant shade plants for Southern Texas
Looking for low shrubs and flowers that will grow in full shade and that would be mostly deer resistant. North facing front of our house.

Bandera, TX
Deer-resistant native plants for privacy fence in Bandera, TX
I am trying to have a living privacy fence of some type of evergreen shrubs that would grow about 6ft tall and that would be deer resistant. It would be good if didn't need a lot of maintenance. Do y...

Bandera, TX
Clicking heard under an Oak in near Bandera, TX
Hi, I live on a ranch in TX outside of Bandera. We're covered with live oaks, spanish oak and cedar. Last week,as I stood under an oak, I heard a constant fairly loud clicking sound under and around ...

Kerrville, TX
Pruning a rough-leaf dogwood in spring
Is it OK to trim a rough leaf dogwood now? Should I spray after trimming? Thanks

Kerrville, TX
Huisache tree is not thriving in Kerr County, TX.
Our landscaper planted a Huisache tree in our back yard (Kerr County). It was planted about 3 years ago. It has grown considerably (about 15 feet tall)but it has never flowered and is always late in...

Kerrville, TX
Erosion tolerant plants for shade from Kerrville TX
We have just cleared a lot of cedar out of a small draw and would like to know the best groundcovers, shrubs, etc. to plant to hold the soil. Deep shade most of the day.

Kerrville, TX
Problems with Cedar Elm in Kerrville TX
We live in 10 miles outside Kerrville - have a Cedar Elm tree - planted 4 or 5 years ago, 15-20 foot high, is losing leaves in the top 1/4th. Rest of leaves look healthy and green.

Kerrville, TX
Are there plants that are resistant to axis deer?
Greetings! I live about 10 miles south of Kerrville, Texas, toward Medina. I wish to begin planting more natives on a plot we have recently purchased. Some plants will go inside a fence that deer...

Kerrville, TX
Need suggestions for native grasses to stabilize hillside Kerrville, TX.
We have a steep slope at the back of our property in "caleche" territory in Kerrville. It is about 80 feet wide by 40 feet and ends at a wash. It is outside of our fenced yard and we are in city lim...

Kerrville, TX
Seeds of Castilleja purpurea
The seed photo for Castilleja purpurea is incorrect; seeds are black and poppyseed size.

Kerrville, TX
Kerrville Soil for Vegetables
We are moving to our vacation home in Kerrville, TX and plan on putting in a vegetable garden on the sunny north side of our house. I'm assuming that your answer to the person inquiring about "soil...

Kerrville, TX
Pruning drought-stressed butterfly plants from Kerrville TX
Due to the drought, our butterfly bushes have dead branches. Ordinarily we prune the dormant plants in winter, but can we cut back dead branches now?

Kerrville, TX
Desert Willow and Orchid tree with no upper leaves from Kerrville TX
I have two 5 year old Desert Willows planted in my yard. This year only one has leaved out and blooming. The other is bare but the branches are not dead and it has new growth at the bottom. Do you kno...

Kerrville, TX
Evergreen plant with berries for wildlife
We live in central Texas and I am attempting to plant for wildlife. Could you suggest an evergreen, approximately 3-4 feet tall, that would have berries for the birds in the Fall and winter? The pla...

Kerrville, TX
Search for Texas barberry (Mahonia swaseyi) for sale
Do you know where I can purchase a Texas Barberry (Berberis swaseyi, Texas Mahonia) plant? I live in the Texas hill country. Thanks

Kerrville, TX
Deer resistant, shade tolerant foundation plants for Kerrville TX
I'm looking for foundation plants for shade that are deer resistant. Tall as well as medium height.

kerrville, TX
Need a native vine to grow on a fence next to a horse pasture in Kerrville, TX.
I have a wooden fence between my yard and the horse pasture. I would like to plant a native Texas vine (grapevine, honeysuckle, etc.) to cover the fence that will be evergreen and showy, but one that ...

Kerrville, TX
Native alternatives for Chinest pistache
We live just outside Kerrville on a lot with shallow soil over rock. We have built a raised bed for a shade tree and were considering a Chinese Pistache. However, I have since heard that they don't...