A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Comfort, TX
Native Plants Toxic to Dogs?
Are society garlic, Salvia greggii, black escarpment cherries, and wine cup wildflowers toxic to dogs?

Comfort, TX
Insects attacking Gregg's Blue Mistflower from Comfort TX
I have a beautiful stand of Gregg's Blue Mist flower that have been attacked by an unknown insect. The new growth is curled and stunted and it is not flowering. I'm not alone..I've seen the Gregg'...

Comfort, TX
Century plant dying after bloom
My century plant is so tall that it is up to the top of the telephone pole top lines that carry our streets electric. I was wanting to know if you knew if I cut the stock off would it save the plant ...

Comfort, TX
Non-native Jerusalem Sage from Comfort TX
I live in Comfort, TX. I have 3 Jerusalem sage plants that bloom beautifully each year. However, just the past week one has started turning yellow and brown. The leaves look withered and ready to die....

Comfort, TX
Problems with Agave americana in Comfort TX
We have lost a huge agave americana and are not able to find out what to do for our others. The one we lost was rotted or eaten (beetles?) at the base and the whole thing just fell over. We have a l...

Comfort, TX
Plant screen for Comfort TX
My house sits on a hill between Fredericksburg and Comfort. Darn, if my neighbors didn't build so close to my property line that I can see into their cabin when the trees drop their leaves in the f...

Kerrville, TX
Huisache tree is not thriving in Kerr County, TX.
Our landscaper planted a Huisache tree in our back yard (Kerr County). It was planted about 3 years ago. It has grown considerably (about 15 feet tall)but it has never flowered and is always late in...

Kerrville, TX
Will Bermuda grass survive a drought-induced dormancy?
If I stop watering a Bermuda grass lawn and let it go dormant, will it green up again when it rains again?

Kerrville, TX
Erosion tolerant plants for shade from Kerrville TX
We have just cleared a lot of cedar out of a small draw and would like to know the best groundcovers, shrubs, etc. to plant to hold the soil. Deep shade most of the day.

Kerrville, TX
Salvia farinacea and rust fungus from Kerrville TX
Are Henry Duelberg salvias (Salvia farinacea)susceptible to rust fungus?

Kerrville, TX
Deer resistance of non-native Leyland Cypress from Kerrville TX
Are Leyland cypress deer resistant?

Kerrville, TX
Desert Willow and Orchid tree with no upper leaves from Kerrville TX
I have two 5 year old Desert Willows planted in my yard. This year only one has leaved out and blooming. The other is bare but the branches are not dead and it has new growth at the bottom. Do you kno...

Kerrville, TX
Pathway material for Kerrville, TX
I have removed the St Augustine, expanded a perennial bed of mostly natives and created a pathway along the new bed. Can you recommend a plant to use as a pathway? It should require low water, be hea...

Kerrville, TX
What are the native plants in Kerrville, Texas?

kerrville, TX
Need a native vine to grow on a fence next to a horse pasture in Kerrville, TX.
I have a wooden fence between my yard and the horse pasture. I would like to plant a native Texas vine (grapevine, honeysuckle, etc.) to cover the fence that will be evergreen and showy, but one that ...

Kerrville, TX
Deer resistant, shade tolerant foundation plants for Kerrville TX
I'm looking for foundation plants for shade that are deer resistant. Tall as well as medium height.

Kerrville, TX
Pruning drought-stressed butterfly plants from Kerrville TX
Due to the drought, our butterfly bushes have dead branches. Ordinarily we prune the dormant plants in winter, but can we cut back dead branches now?

Kerrville, TX
Rows of red, white and blue flowers in Kerrville, TX
I have 1/3 acre project on the Guadalupe river in Kerrville Tx. I want to plant 3 rows, of red, white and blue flowers that are at best deer resistant. I have added 84 yards of lake btms (Ingram Lake...

Kerrville, TX
Need suggestions for native grasses to stabilize hillside Kerrville, TX.
We have a steep slope at the back of our property in "caleche" territory in Kerrville. It is about 80 feet wide by 40 feet and ends at a wash. It is outside of our fenced yard and we are in city lim...

Kerrville, TX
Problems with Cedar Elm in Kerrville TX
We live in 10 miles outside Kerrville - have a Cedar Elm tree - planted 4 or 5 years ago, 15-20 foot high, is losing leaves in the top 1/4th. Rest of leaves look healthy and green.

Kerrville, TX
Kerrville Soil for Vegetables
We are moving to our vacation home in Kerrville, TX and plan on putting in a vegetable garden on the sunny north side of our house. I'm assuming that your answer to the person inquiring about "soil...