Cherokee, TX
Vine for a fence in San Saba County, Texas
I want to plant vines on a deer proof fence close to my house for privacy. Are there any vines that stay green year round? Also what breed of vine would you recommend for several hundred feet of fenc...

Valley Spring, TX
Growing live oaks from acorns
What is the best way to grow Live Oaks from acorns?

Llano, TX
Native replacement for Mexican heather in Llano, TX
Please suggest a native or adaptable alternative plant for Mexican Heather.

Llano, TX
Propagation of yellow columbine
I purchased a yellow columbine, Aquilegia chrysantha and your website says it grows in moist upland soils, and yet it shows their habitat as Utah, Arizona, NM, and sw Texas. Tell me how it can...

Llano, TX
High mowing equipment for Llano TX
We're trying to follow your wildflower meadow recommendation "if your meadow has tall, warm-season native grasses, wait until late summer or early fall to mow, allowing them to elongate, flower, and...

Llano, TX
What is the orange vine that is covering the wildflowers from Llano, TX?
What is the invasive orange vine that is covering the wildflowers on Texas highways?

Llano, TX
Texas sage near a granite outcropping from Llano TX
I have a large granite outcropping near my house. There are pockets that have spring flowers growing in them and is just beautiful in the spring. I want to plant other native plants in and about the g...

Llano, TX
Can trees survive if trunks are buried under 3-5 ft of soil?
We have two cedar elms and a mesquite that I protected from backfill as our Texas Hill Country lot was leveled in preparation for building a house. The bulkheads are now holding back 3' to 5' of ma...

Llano, TX
Trimming a bur oak in Llano, TX
We have a beautiful, large Burr Oak next to our house. This tree has many large lateral branches. I have trimmed dead branches, but no other trimming. It grows a lot of "suckers" during growing sea...

Llano, TX
Planting Anacacho orchid tree in Llano, TX
Re Bauhinia lunarioides: I'm trying to pick a good site in Llano Co for a 5 gal tree I received as a gift. Your plant database says part shade. The arid zone trees publication you reference in a...

Llano, TX
Native Substitute for Boxwood in Llano, TX
I love boxwood because it's evergreen & provides a great backdrop to my flowers w/o taking over the bed. However, I'm trying to stick with native plants, so can you provide a native alternative to b...

Llano, TX
Freeze damage on Barrel Cactus in Llano TX
I believe my barrel cactus has freeze damage. The flesh turned yellow and is now turning dark. The base is still green. If I cut off the damaged top portion, leaving the green base, should it survive?...

Llano, TX
What is the pH of Bald Cypress needles?
What is the pH of Bald Cypress needles?

Lometa, TX
Are Yucca and Spanish dagger the same?
We have Yucca, and we have Spanish Dagger. We don't think they are the same thing. Are they?

Lometa, TX
Looking for rattlesnake flower
I taught school for many years. The students and I identified wildflowers. I had one I call Rattlesnake Flower. It was small and had a little blue flower. On the leaves were little seed cases that...

Kingsland, TX
Germination of Sophora seeds, and Dodder identification in Kingsland, TX.
Our Mt. Laurel has just produced seeds. Can those be scarified and planted now or do they have to dry out. Also what is the stringy orange substance that gets on bluebonnets and other wildflowers ...

Kingsland, TX
Promoting bloom of crossvine
I planted a crossvine a couple of years ago and it has grown quite well, climbing well up the Mesquite tree it was planted under. However, it has never bloomed. I was really looking forward to those...

Kingsland, TX
Holding an Acer rubrum in a container for two years
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I am thinking about ordering a Red Maple tree that is cultivated from Mount Vernon. I appreciate the historic nature of such a tree. The tree will be shipped to me and is ...

Kingsland, TX
Groundcovers for Kingsland TX
I am looking for a list of native ground covers and grasses(not lawn grass).

Kingsland, TX
Plant Identification
What is the common purple flower found in fields that has a yellow flattened oval berry like pod after blooming? Leaves are grayish green. I am thinking in the nightshade family? It is a bane to a pas...

Lampasas, TX
Native plants for butterflies and birds in a park in Lampasas, Texas
There is an area along a creek in Lampasas, Texas that I want to establish as a butterfly and bird park. There are various native plants there now, but I want to add plants that are hosts for butterf...