Willow City, TX
Who was Salvia clevelandii named for?
Where does the term "clevelandii (as in the Salvia I recently saw for the first time) originate?

Willow City, TX
Interaction of Habiturf and St. Augustine grasses from Willow City TX
How does Habiturf and St. Augustine interact? Does one dominate the other? Can you plant them in close areas? Thank you.

Fredericksburg , TX
Blooming time for bluebonnets in Fredericksburg, TX
Any idea of when the Bluebonnets are expected to be in bloom I Fredericksburg TX, this year?

Fredericksburg, TX
Need a shade tree for front yard in Fredricksburg, TX.
I live in Fredericksburg, Tx. I have a large front yard, but only one huge pecan tree in the front yard that is probably 18 years old. It shades half the yard. I want to plant another shade tree for t...

Fredericksburg, TX
Viability of Desert Willow in clay soil in Fredericksburg, TX
I have recently purchased a house in a new subdivision in Fredericksburg, TX. The lot was not landscaped. I have a small lot (85 X 135), my back yard is about 50 X 85. The soil is a heavy clay. I am c...

Fredericksburg, TX
Death of mature Eve's necklace in Fredericksburg, TX
A friend mentioned his mature Eve's necklace had died this year. The next day I walked past my own mature Eve's necklace(about 5 years old)and it was dead! What could have happened? Thanks.

Fredericksburg, TX
Invasive trumpet vine from Fredericksburg TX
I have a large trumpet vine growing on a dead tree stump. My problem is that new baby trumpet vines are coming up all over my yard. I mow them, but is there anything I can use to prevent new trumpet v...

Fredericksburg, TX
Feeding live oak and redbud trees from Fredericksburg TX
Can you please tell me what to feed my live oak and texas redbud trees that survived the drought? We have granite soil.

Fredericksburg, TX
Non-blooming Tecoma stans in Fredericksburg, TX
We have an esperanza plant purchased last year from Walmart and planted outside before winter. It flowered excellently last year. Just before winter we cut it back to about a foot. So far this summer ...

Fredericksburg, TX
How can I submit a picture with my question?

Fredericksburg, TX
Evergreen vine for trellis in Fredricksburg, Texas
Hello, and thank you so much for this service. I am looking for a non-deciduous vine to plant on the east side of my house. I have already put in a trellis, now I need to know what to plant on it. ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Identification of plant, probably Datura.
We currently have in bloom a very leggy, about 2 foot high volunteer plant in Fredericksburg, TX that has a segmented stem, single large trumpet shaped flowers that stick straight up about 4 inches in...

Fredericksburg, TX
Small to medium specimen native tree for Texas Hill Country
Can you recommend a small to med. 'specimen' tree to plant near our patio? Full sun, drought tolerant, interesting during different seasons. Thought about Blanco Crabapple, Rusty Blackhaw, Smoke Tr...

Fredericksburg, TX
Native grasses palatable for horses and eliminating KR bluestem.
Looking for native Texas grasses which are palatable for horses, to overseed in areas which are currently overrun with KR bluestem. What are the best grasses and best way to accomplish this? (SW Gi...

Fredericksburg, TX
Gregg's Mistflower stressed in Fredericksburg TX
My Gregg's Mist Flower plants are very stressed. The blooms have turned brown and the leaves are drooping. Plants are receiving moderate sun, partial shade. Do they need daily watering this time o...

Fredericksburg, TX
Problems with Gregg's mistflower from Fredericksburg, TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants: Something is wilting the tops of my Gregg's mistflower, Conoclinium greggii. I cannot see bugs on the plant, so I am wondering if it's a disease. The problem is widespread to...

Fredericksburg, TX
Mountain laurel planting over Frederickburg limestone
We have rocky limestone shelves on our property. We want to plant a mountain laurel. Are the roots strong enough to break through the limestone or should we try to find another location? The limestone...

Fredericksburg, TX
Replacement for non-native maiden grasses from Fredericksburg TX
I am trying to replace some maiden grasses that died during the drought. I want an evergreen grass or something soft looking to replace them. I want something that is native and 5 to 6 feet tall to ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Problems with a two year old persimmon tree in Fredricksburg, TX.
Hi Mr/Ms Smarty Plants, We planted a 4-ft Texas Persimmon, Diospyros texana, 2-years ago, with wonderful leaf and fruit production since. We recently had a hail storm (5/9/13) and although mos...

Fredericksburg, TX
Vines to Complement a Fence
I have a 3' weathered picket fence that I want to plant a flowering vine on part of it. The vine must be perennial, tolerate full sun and low watering. Is there anything besides trumpet, cross vine, ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Native Indiangrass as a hedge
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, I would like to create a grass hedge as a foundation planting for a portion of our garden. One side of the planting is a concrete sidewalk to our garden shed, the other side wil...