A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Willow City, TX
Interaction of Habiturf and St. Augustine grasses from Willow City TX
How does Habiturf and St. Augustine interact? Does one dominate the other? Can you plant them in close areas? Thank you.

Willow City, TX
Who was Salvia clevelandii named for?
Where does the term "clevelandii (as in the Salvia I recently saw for the first time) originate?

Fredericksburg , TX
Blooming time for bluebonnets in Fredericksburg, TX
Any idea of when the Bluebonnets are expected to be in bloom I Fredericksburg TX, this year?

Fredericksburg, TX
Crossvine for metal barn in Fredericksburg, TX
We have a backyard metal barn, the small storage-type structures that are common. Hail knocked some paint off the metal roof and rather than repaint it, we want to install some plastic webbing from th...

Fredericksburg, TX
Replacement for non-native maiden grasses from Fredericksburg TX
I am trying to replace some maiden grasses that died during the drought. I want an evergreen grass or something soft looking to replace them. I want something that is native and 5 to 6 feet tall to ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Evergreen vine for trellis in Fredricksburg, Texas
Hello, and thank you so much for this service. I am looking for a non-deciduous vine to plant on the east side of my house. I have already put in a trellis, now I need to know what to plant on it. ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Controlling switchgrass in Fredericksburg TX
How do you kill switch grass..too much has grown on our property. Originally planted to stop erosion due to oak wilted trees lost on hill behind house, which worked,but now it is everywhere.

Fredericksburg, TX
Lindheimer's muhly, goat food in Fredericksburg TX
How can I eradicate Lindheimers muhly in my pasture and what can I plant in its place that goats will graze on?

Fredericksburg, TX
Vines to Complement a Fence
I have a 3' weathered picket fence that I want to plant a flowering vine on part of it. The vine must be perennial, tolerate full sun and low watering. Is there anything besides trumpet, cross vine, ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Problems with Gregg's mistflower from Fredericksburg, TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants: Something is wilting the tops of my Gregg's mistflower, Conoclinium greggii. I cannot see bugs on the plant, so I am wondering if it's a disease. The problem is widespread to...

Fredericksburg, TX
Gregg's Mistflower stressed in Fredericksburg TX
My Gregg's Mist Flower plants are very stressed. The blooms have turned brown and the leaves are drooping. Plants are receiving moderate sun, partial shade. Do they need daily watering this time o...

Fredericksburg, TX
Mountain laurel planting over Frederickburg limestone
We have rocky limestone shelves on our property. We want to plant a mountain laurel. Are the roots strong enough to break through the limestone or should we try to find another location? The limestone...

Fredericksburg, TX
Native grasses palatable for horses and eliminating KR bluestem.
Looking for native Texas grasses which are palatable for horses, to overseed in areas which are currently overrun with KR bluestem. What are the best grasses and best way to accomplish this? (SW Gi...

Fredericksburg, TX
Small to medium specimen native tree for Texas Hill Country
Can you recommend a small to med. 'specimen' tree to plant near our patio? Full sun, drought tolerant, interesting during different seasons. Thought about Blanco Crabapple, Rusty Blackhaw, Smoke Tr...

Fredericksburg, TX
Restoring a native prairie
Can you recommend a consultant to help my husband and me re-establish a native prairie on approximately 25 acres near Fredericksburg, TX? Does the Wildflower Center have such a consulting service? ...

Fredericksburg, TX
Problem with Chinese Pistache tree
We have a gorgeous Chinese Pistache in our yard, about 25 feet tall. We bought it for its gorgeous fall color. The problem is that it has never turned color for us. All the other pistaches in the neig...

Fredericksburg, TX
Live Oaks and Foundations
I have a young live oak (18 inch trunk at it's base) growing within four feet of my house. What kind of damage can it cause my foundation? Need your help!

Fredericksburg, TX
Native Indiangrass as a hedge
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, I would like to create a grass hedge as a foundation planting for a portion of our garden. One side of the planting is a concrete sidewalk to our garden shed, the other side wil...

Fredericksburg, TX
Viability of Desert Willow in clay soil in Fredericksburg, TX
I have recently purchased a house in a new subdivision in Fredericksburg, TX. The lot was not landscaped. I have a small lot (85 X 135), my back yard is about 50 X 85. The soil is a heavy clay. I am c...

Fredericksburg, TX
Identification of plant, probably Datura.
We currently have in bloom a very leggy, about 2 foot high volunteer plant in Fredericksburg, TX that has a segmented stem, single large trumpet shaped flowers that stick straight up about 4 inches in...

Fredericksburg, TX
Death of mature Eve's necklace in Fredericksburg, TX
A friend mentioned his mature Eve's necklace had died this year. The next day I walked past my own mature Eve's necklace(about 5 years old)and it was dead! What could have happened? Thanks.