A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Wichita Falls, TX
Wildflower seeds for Nocona, Texas
I have a place on Lake Nocona in Nocona,TX and am wanting to buy native wild flower seeds that will take the heat and little water. I have both sunlight and shade. I,m interested in the western prairi...

Wichita Falls, TX
White spots on Hibiscus leaves
My hibiscus trees have white spots or splotches on the leaves. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it? Also, the birds are eating my tomatoes faster than i can grow them. I've used the owl &...

Wichita Falls, TX
Problems with hibiscus tree in Wichita Falls, TX
My Hibiscus trees have black spots on the leaves. What might this be and what is the remedy?

Wichita Falls, TX
Planting time for Helianthus annuus in Wichita Co., TX
I need to know when is the best time to plant sunflowers in the Wichita Falls, Texas area? Thank you for your time.

Wichita Falls, TX
Need suggestions for plants for a bird/small wildlife refuge in Wichita Co, TX.
With our continuing drought in North Texas, I'm planning to transform my small backyard into a bird/small wildlife "refuge". What types of native plants and grasses can I plant in dry, hot Wichita ...

Wichita Falls, TX
Summer-blooming Wildflowers for Wichita Falls, TX
Can you give me a list of some summer-blooming (June, July, August, maybe September) wildflowers that I can plant in my flower beds in Wichita Falls, TX and tell me when the best time is to sow the se...

Wichita Falls, TX
Native grasses for horse grazing in Wichita Falls, TX
What are the best horse grazing grasses to plant in the Wichita Falls, Texas area?

Wichita Falls, TX
Planting wildflowers from Wichita Falls, TX
Hi, Thanks so much for the answers you give! You've been very helpful to me in the past. I have two quick questions: 1) I have been harvesting seeds from my wildflowers. I wonder when the best time...

Wichita Falls , TX
Smarty Plants on Hesperaloe parviflora
On the home page of this website (right of center) there is a plant with the long stems and pink flowers and with green pods or seeds, also. Could you please tell me the name of this flower? We have ...

Burkburnett, TX
Small shrub for shady area
I would like to find a shrub to plant on the north, northeast side of my house, but it will be in mostly shade. It needs to get between 21/2' to 4' tall. Do you have any suggestions please?

Comanche, OK
Plant called cow shade or cow weed that is poisonous
There is a plant called cow shade or cow weed, not exactly sure. It kills whitetail deer. I would like to know the name of the plant and the specifics. If you could help me it would be greatly appreci...

Comanche, OK
Wildflowers for a large backyard in Oklahoma
I have a large back yard in full sun. What native flowers should I plant here?

Bowie, TX
Plants to stop erosion on sandy slope in north central Texas
We have severe erosion problems that lead to a deep ravine. There are deer in the area and the soil is sandy on a slope. What would be the best long term solution to stop or control this erosion. Th...

Bowie, TX
Information on green roof demonstration site at Wildflower Center
I visited your green roof demonstration site and am interested in putting a green roof on a structure. There seemed to be at least two layers of growing medium in the planters; one layer looked like r...

Selma, TX
Texas fan ash draining sap in Selma TX
I have a 3-year-old Texas Fan Ash tree that has recently begun to drain sap. Should I be concerned? If yes, what can I do to save the tree? Thank You!!

Lawton, OK
Planting distance for non-native crepe myrtles in Lawton OK
We just bought Tonto Crepe Myrtle trees. I was just curious how far away from the house we should plant them.

Lawton, OK
Safety of hyrbrid and non-native trees for dogs and horses from Lawton OK
Are Arrowwood Viburnum tree, Sargent Crabapple tree & the Washington Hawthorn tree safe for dogs & horses?

Lawton, OK
Looking for a Drummond Red Maple in Lawton, OK.
I would like to buy a female Drummond red maple from a local retailer but it's Jan.12 and those he has in stock are leafless with just the beginnings of buds showing. They are about 20 feet tall and ...

Lawton, OK
Native plants threatened by invasives in Oklahoma?
What are some native plants in Oklahoma that are being threatened by invasive species?

Lawton, OK
Fungi in the flower bed
Found a strange thing in my flower bed, while tilling. It was egg shape, white, with a little purple, soft but tough like leather on the outside, with a small 2 inch root. Curiosity got me so I cut it...

Graham, TX
Calyptocarpus vialis, Horseherb, for shady, mowable lawn
Graham, Texas, Heavily wooded. Too shady for St. Augustine grass. Need mowable ground cover near house. Have heard of something called horsewort, but not able to find anything about it.